Search This Blog

Thursday, April 07, 2016

Looking back...

Sometimes looking back propels you forward.  Something about reflecting on where you have been, how far you have come, makes you more longingly await your destination. 
I was lying on the couch tonight with my sick son.  I was brushing his hair back with my hand and holding him in my lap.  (This doesn’t happen very often any more since he is nine and almost as big as me, but tonight, he was content to sprawl out on me and soak up the extra attention.)  I waited on him, bringing him drinks, dessert, his blanket, whatever he requested…anything to try and make him feel comforted.  As I sat with him on the couch, my husband and I recounted a story for him. 
It was a time shortly after I met my husband.  We were dating at the time.  He had gotten sick.   I was working at the hospital at the time.  I remember leaving work and driving straight to his place to take care of him.  He still admits that this was the beginning of one of the many reasons he fell in love with me.  As we shared this story with my son, it made him smile.  It also made me smile.  It brought back a flood of emotions. 
I recall that day vividly.  I remember being so overcome with my feelings for Larry- he was all I could think about it.  I was infatuated.  I couldn’t get enough time with him!  It was good reminder of what planted the seed of our relationship that continues to blossom.  As the years pass, it is good to look back to this time, to appreciate how much we have grown together and to think about what our future holds.

It also makes me think about when I came to know the Lord.  When I accepted Him as my Lord and Savior.  I remember being overwhelmed with emotion.  It is good to look back to this time and examine how far I have come and to be reminded of how I need to longingly await my destination!

No comments: