Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Love one another the way Christ loves you!

I am currently doing a small group study on marriage, specifically Andy Stanley’s i-Marriage.  It is a great study!  In this video and book series, it challenges you to love your spouse the way God loves you...submitting to one another in reverence of God, Ephesians 5:21. 
I had to ask myself, 
What does it look like to love my husband
 the way Christ loves me?  
That seems like such a broad question.  
So, I did a little digging and this is what I found…

Just a few examples of how God loves me…..
  • ·    Forgiving, patient, rich in mercy (Ephesians 2:4)  Am I this way, forgiving, and rich in mercy? 
  • ·    Loves us during, through, and despite our mess (Romans 5:8)  Do I love him when he is stressed and grumpy?
  • ·    Calls us to Him even while we are in the pits (Psalm 86:16) Do I call him to me when he is hangry and moody? 
  • ·    Rejoices over us with gladness (Zephaniah 3:17) I know I am happy with him but do I truly "rejoice" over him?
  • ·    Casts all our anxiety onto Himself (1 Peter 5:6) Do I allow him to set his stress onto me to lessen his burden?
  • ·    Slow to anger, steadfast in love, and faithful (Psalm 86:15) I might as well stop and stay on this one...the slow to anger part is certainly convicting.
  • ·    Loving to even the unloveable (1Timothy 1:15) We all have those days that we are just not fun to be around.  Do I love Larry when he is having one of these days? 

  • ·    Precious in His sight (Isaiah 43:4) Yes, for sure, I got this one! 
  • ·    Giving of abundant life (John 10:10) Do I give Larry an abundant life? 
  • ·    When I am weak, He is my strength (2Corinthians 12:10) Am I Larry's strength when he feels weak?
  • ·    He never leaves us or forsakes us (Hebrews 13:5) Am I always willing to stand by his side, unconditionally?

I could have kept on going with more examples of the way God loves me and how I am called to love Larry- but this was convicting enough and is a good start.
Lord, help me to be a reflection of your love to my husband, help me to live out each of these qualities.  Thank you for your unconditional, unfailing example of love. 


No comments: