Search This Blog

Monday, July 20, 2015

It is well…with my soul

At our Christmas party last year, my grandmother was very sick.  She was admitted to the hospital and then to a rehabilitation center.  We got to see the fighter in my grandmother rise up.  She was back home within a very short amount of time.  Once she was at home, we realized she needed help at home with general maintenance of her medications and care.  The Lord allowed me to be with my grandmother and help her. 


The past 6 months have truly been a gift.

Many days I would arrive at her home by 8am and she had already gotten up, done her devotional time, and breakfast.  So, while I thought I was going there to do nursing care, much of the time was time spent talking, going through pictures, and just sitting next to each other. 

My grandmother did not need ME…
I needed HER!

My grandmother was a strong woman.  She loved the Lord first and foremost.  In one of our many conversations, I asked her one thing that she would want to pass down to the next generations….
She said, “love the Lord” 
and she shared her testimony with me. 
We went through many pictures of family and she shared her memories.  One memory that I will forever carry with me is a day that I was helping my grandmother bathe and get ready for the day.  I was humming a song and she wanted to know what I was humming.  So I started to sing and as she sat in the shower, we sang this together, Bless the Lord, O my soul
My grandmother went to be with Jesus today.  As we poured through her journals today, we read about trips to the grocery store, outings to the Dollar General, dinner at Wrights cafeteria, and Monday -wash days!  But the most repeated phrases were her prayers on behalf of her family and her desire to live right before the Lord.

 I am most thankful for her example to Love the Lord with all her heart, with all her soul, and with all her strength, and to love one another.
I believe she is amongst many angels singing and rejoicing with Jesus right now!

1 comment:

ComeHaveaPeace said...

Thank you so much for sharing Mitzi. When I opened this post, I was listening to a song sent to me by a friend .... It is Well With My Soul. Your grandmother certainly lived this before you. What a sweet legacy she passed on to you, and what a gift these 6 months for both of you. Praying for you as you miss her and adjust to her earthly absence.