Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 02, 2014

#GivingTuesday

Today, December 2 is #GivingTuesday! 
After a weekend filled with #Thanksgiving shopping, #Black Friday Shopping, Extended Weekend Sales, & CyberMonday, we have ONE day set aside as an official Give Back day.  Hopefully you set aside more than just a day to give generously to charities and to people around you in need.

If you are like most people, you give periodically throughout the year.  I have seasons of 'purging' the closets in my house.  These items get bagged up and donated to area homeless shelters and ministries, such as KARM and Goodwill. I usually carelessly stuff all my items into several large garbage bags.

However, recently while volunteering at a rescue center, 
I got a new appreciation for how I present my donations! 

I had been given the task to sort the items by category.  This was a long process but necessary to be able to distribute the donations.  It took hours just to get everything organized.  Most of these non-profit organizations are volunteer driven.  It made me realize that not just making donations is important but how I present the donations is just as important.  
From now on when I purge my closets, I will label and separate the clothes as men's, women's, kid's by gender, and misc. items bagged separate.  
The extra time this takes is also a donation in itself.  
Go the extra mile with your #giving! 

No comments: