Search This Blog

Friday, March 14, 2014

Coffee, coke, and Christ

I gave up coffee and diet coke for lent. Yesterday I was thirsty for something besides water. I have been stopping at Weigels to get ices for my kids the past three days in a row just so I can have a sip!  Yesterday, I wanted to drink the last sip of my son's coke left on the table. This morning I am already craving coffee.

It is more than just a physical addiction.  I like the thought of holding a hot cup in my hands. I like the smell of the coffee that fills the house. I love the sound you make when you crack open a coke. I can hear it in my head like a symphony.

Weak. I am weak.

I counted the days until Easter.


Again.

I double checked with another calendar. It is right. There are 36 days until Easter.

36 days until we celebrate the resurrection of the son, Jesus Christ. The day we were set free from sin. The day He broke the chains of death for YOU and ME. The day the grave could not hold the power of Jesus. The day we set aside to recognize His GREAT sacrifice for us to be free from bondage.

As I remind myself of these truths DAILY, I am thankful for Lent. To live in His rescue gives me great strength. I smile and laugh at myself because coffee and diet coke aren't really a sacrifice at all. They are a mere convenience that I have chosen to give up for a period of time. Yet, The Lord honors this very small 'sacrifice'.
It has only been 9 days since Ash Wednesday. I was prepared to have a headache everyday from caffeine withdrawal. I was planning to take Advil every day as a preventative. However, I haven't woken up with a headache once! The Lord has taken care of that. I was also prepared to be moody and irritable because of my lack of caffeine and cravings but The Lord has taken care of that too. If anything, I have had more energy and less stress.

Yes, I am weak but He is strong!


That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:10


Thank you Lord for this VERY small thorn in my flesh to remind me of YOUR great grace.

No comments: