Search This Blog

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Changing my morning

I woke up yesterday morning already cranky. I think of myself as being a morning person, but NOT today. I could blame it on lack of sleep, that might be a good excuse but I think there was more to it. Everything seemed to irritate me as I started my day.
{scornful}
I couldn't find the right outfit to wear. Then, the dog took forever to go to the bathroom as I stood in the freezing cold rain to let him out. Then the kids were moving so slow to come down for breakfast. Then my husband knocked over a full glass onto my daughters notebook. At this point, I felt the wicked one speak out of my mouth!
{chaffed}
My morning had begun with an attitude of discontent...
As I went about my day, I could feel the gears slowly turn around. As I spent time with my son, taking care of the chores, and going through the to-do list, I unconsciously felt my attitude begin to shift.
 
{Others - self = God}
 
My mother in law called mid-day to ask if she could pick up my daughter from school for me. This small act of kindness continued to soften my heart. Then that night, I had ladies night. Wouldn't you know that our speaker talked about our daily time with The Lord.  When asked if we had spent time with God that morning, I of course raised my hand. I had read scripture that morning. I had prayed with my kids. I had even done a bible lesson with my son, I should get extra points, right?!
Wrong...
God reminded me that it is the attitude of worship not a box to check off my list.
My morning and day had not started with Him, my day started with an attitude of self.
As I woke up extra early THIS morning at 4am, I was pointed to

Psalm 1:1-6
Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners,
Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
But his delight is in the law of the Lord ,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its fruit in its season,
Whose leaf also shall not wither;
And whatever he does shall prosper.
The ungodly are not so,
But are like the chaff which the wind drives away. 
Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment,
Nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
For the Lord knows the way of the righteous,
But the way of the ungodly shall perish. 
 
The Lord woke me up even earlier today than the day before, showing me that my attitude was not due to lack of sleep! He did not let my attitude veer off course this time. He has held my thoughts captive, turning me from my previous days' ungodly attitude. 
Lord, I pray you will encourage me to delight in your presence, to ponder your words throughout my days, keep me from the self focused ways that lead to expressions of discontent.

No comments: