Search This Blog

Friday, January 25, 2013

The Remote control

The Remote control
Do you find that there is a battle in your house for who gets control
of the remote?

There is an unspoken understanding in our house.
If my husband and I are watching tv, HE has the remote.
If my kids are perched in front of the tv,
my daughter has the remote tightly clutched in her hands
the entire program!
She doesn't let go of it, for fear that she might
lose her control of this valuable item.

Is this something you can relate to?

Control is a very interesting thing!
If its not the remote,
maybe it is something else that you like to control.
We did an interesting exercise this morning,
listing the items that we (as a family) 'like' to control.
My daughter's list- her DS, her hamster, her cat, her brother, and herself
My son's list- iPod and Mario
My husband's list was very frank and honest...Everything!

(people, work, computer, car)
My response was more than I would like to admit,
but change happens amongst the brutal honesty.
My list...I like to control schedules, responses of others, our
children's study habits and behavior, cleanliness of the house, the
way in which things are done, the eating habits of my family,
...pretty much everything around me.

So, this leads me to the question, why do I feel so compelled to control?

I think to better understand the question,
it would be helpful to know the definition of control.
Control is the power to influence or direct people's behavior or the course of events, to manipulate something to achieve the desired outcome.
So then the better question to ask,
what does the bible say about the 'need to control'?
Many are the plans in the mind of a man,but it is the purpose of the
Lord that will stand. (Proverbs 19:21 ESV)

Now in putting everything in subjection to him, he left nothing
outside HIS control. At present,
we do not yet see everything in
subjection to him
. (Hebrews 2:8 ESV)

I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of
the calling with which you were called, (Ephesians 4:1 NKJV)
Be humble (happy to lift others around you).
Be gentle (power under control)
Be patient (willing to wait as others grow) -
can't really be this way if I am trying to manipulate the outcome huh?
Bear with one another in love
(willing to put up with imperfections)-hmm, that would mean give up control huh?
Do you see differences as a gift rather than a division?

Ephesians 4:17-5:20
Do not give over to your senses (whatever feels good).
Repent, and turn to Christ, putting away and putting on.
List of things to put off, and to put on:
Falsehood (embellishing), speak truth/transparency
No unwholesome talk sarcasm, only encouraging words
No impurity or greed, put on holiness
Put off selfishness, put on
SUBMISSION!
We have a fallen nature to dominate.
Jesus did not come to be served but to be a servant to all.
Who am I not to serve others?

Submission to who?
Wives to husbands- (just as Christ is to the Church)
Why?
Because you trust God's order.
We usually don't submit because we 'think' we know better!
Now isn't that the truth!
However, a life of submission is showing respect!
Submission does not mean you are not worthy, it shows honor.
Husbands to wives and wives to husbands.
Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.
(Ephesians 5:33 NKJV)

Children to parents- first time every time,
but don't ask for more
than they can give
. (don't exasperate your children)
And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring
them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.
(Ephesians 6:4 NKJV)Christians who submit to others in reverence to Christ are living worthy of their calling.
While giving up the remote may be easy enough to give up,
control of everything else isn't as easy to let go!
Lord, I pray you will take the reigns in my life and I will sit in the backseat and know that you are in control of ALL things.

No comments: