Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Tissues please...

Well...today was the first day of school.  This year is full of transitions for both kids (and Mom)!  My daughter moves from a 3 day/2day program of home school and school curriculum to a 5 day program. While my son enters into Kindergarten!

This morning was full of excitement! We went out to the car and double checked backpacks, lunch boxes, water bottles, etc.  As we were checking off the list, my daughter looked through her supplies in her backpack and noticed the box of tissues for her desk.  The tissues were in a green box with what looked to be robots.  She quickly asked if I had put this in the wrong bag and had another box for her. 
At this moment, I wanted to say, "No, I bought the value pack and 2 went in Brenon's backpack, and these are yours, nevermind the color." But I thought how those very LITTLE things can seem to REALLY matter, and especially on the first day of school. 

I called my neighbor at the early hour of 7am! (You know you have good neighbors when you can call that early) I asked her if she had a pink 'girly' looking box of tissues that I could trade out with mine.  To my delight, she did! She had a pink box with purple flowers! My daughter was thrilled.

We were then on our way to school.  As we drove, we took turns praying for our day.  It was at this time my daughter expressed her heart of gratitude.  I have often heard the expression, "Don't sweat the small stuff", and this is all so true. 
But sometimes...it IS the small things that can make all the difference in the big picture. 
My neighbor didn't feel like it was a fair trade since I gave her a large economy box of tissues and she gave me a small size.  She insists on bringing another box to make it an even trade.  I have to say- I just might need that extra box. 
Seeing God's handy work in my kids just might bring a few tears to my eyes as we go through yet another milestone.

 God is in all the little details!

1 comment:

bluefrog said...

I completely understand how small details can mean a lot to kids and I was happy to get you a pink box. And two more boxes are waiting for you on my counter. I hope green and blue will do the trick. ;-)