Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Birthday celebrations

This month we will be celebrating my husband's birthday and a
monumental one at that! Several of my friends (and myself) will also
be reaching this milestone sooner than we might like to admit. This
has sparked many discussions on how we would like to celebrate this
occasion. I heard one of my friends comment that 'it's just another
day'. While this is in a sense true and I am sure this mentality might help lessen the blow of the number of years if you just don't focus much attention on it.
However, I LOVE birthdays...they hold a special meaning to me. This is the day that God
breathed life into you! It is certainly not just another day.
I will praise You, for I am fearfully  and  wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works, And  that  my soul knows very well. (Psalm
139:14 NKJV)

So in trying to come up with something special for my sweet husband, I
went through a long list of his favorite things. What I kept coming
back to was his love language.
What speaks to him most is acts of service!
So I decided starting May 1st that I would do 40 days of service
geared towards things that I knew HE (not me) would appreciate. I
started this venture with cleaning the garage- since this is his
domain. The next day I cleaned out our 'mail drop' and junk drawer.
This is the area where we land all this bills, mail, kids papers from
school, etc.  This area becomes cluttered quickly and tends to be an
eyesore for him. Today, I am serving his comfort- I am off to find a
firm pillow!
I will add to the list as the month goes on... But I can tell you that
in doing this just for the past few days, it has opened my eyes to be
focused more on his needs (and the needs of others) rather than my own.

No comments: