Search This Blog

Saturday, February 25, 2012

A lesson in grace

So, I have been reading a great book over the past year. Yes, I said YEAR. It is one of those books that you read, reread, then reference back to, it's that good. It isn't an easy read but definetly a worthy read. The book is called Give them Grace.  It is one thing to read about giving your kids grace and agreeing with the biblical teachings, but totally different to actually put it into practice. 

Yesterday, we had piano lessons. An hour before we left for our lesson, I reminded my daughter to get her books ready. Once we got in the car to leave, I asked her again if she had her books. She insisted
that she had her books. Of course you know how the story ends, we get to piano and my daughter had left the books by the door. It's kinda hard to do a piano lesson with no books. I must admit, on the inside I
was fuming. Thankfully, the student before us let her borrow her books. Our piano teacher shared a story of how when she was little and forgot her books, her father took away her allowance to pay for that
lesson. This sparked what I thought was an adequate punishment, after all- it WAS chore day. So, we agreed, my daughter would joyfully do the chores this week with no allowance as her punishment for being irresponsible. Seems fair and extending grace, right?

Well, the short answer is...No, not exactly

The next day, we got ready for school. It was an unusual morning. We were ready ahead of schedule. We took advantage of this 'extra' time and double checked the backpack to make sure we had everything. Then, we were off! It felt good to get there before the doors swung open. As my daughter got out of the car, I realized I had not put my daughters backpack back into the car. She had done her part and rolled in out to our car, but I forgot to load it!

Now, what about that responsibility thing?
Talk about getting my attention!
God spoke to my heart loud and clear,
Give Them Grace!


grace- Pronunciation: grās- The exercise of love, kindness, mercy, favor; disposition to benefit or serve another; favor bestowed or privilege conferred.

Was this the reaction I had with my daughter?
Did I seek to extend love, kindness, and unmerited favor?

Are you filled with grace as you discipline your child?

Rejoice freely in His steadfast love
 and share that happiness with all those around you,
ESPECIALLY your kids!

No comments: