Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2012

Today, I ran...

Today I ran. I can tell it has been a while. Not just because of the
slow pace. I ran without a plan, no destination, no distance in mind,
no time frame, no running partner. I just ran.
I could figure out my distance later with the help of GPS, just plug
in my starting point and the last landmark I noted seeing along the
way. Or I could just estimate my average mile run and how many songs
played on my iPod. For now, I don't want to get distracted (or
discouraged) by numbers. I just want to bask in the enjoyment that I
have started back into my running routine!
I enjoyed the run today. I love to people watch and especially when I
am running. I noted the 'serious' runners with the especially fast
pace and determined look on their faces. Then there are the 'I just
want to look  good' runners, with the trendiest running outfits, the
best running shoes, all the best gadgets, and of course a Starbucks in
hand. Then there are the 'she made me do it' runners, you know the
ones...running because their ouber fit wives made them and they have
that 'oh so happy to be running look' on their face. My all time
favorite runner that I saw today was an older woman (we will say 80
years of age).  She ran with a sports bra and shorts and no lie- her
abds were more shaped and flat than mine ever hoped to be at age 18!
The people watching definitely helped distract me from the task of
running almost to the point that I forgot to turn around.
I got back and it was too much to bear not knowing my accomplishment
for the day. In my rough estimate of songs played, I came up with 6
miles. In a more exact calculation with GPS, it was 5.8 miles. Not bad
for my first day back into the running routine.
There is something freeing to not having a 'goal' but just simply
doing something for the love of doing it. No matter what kind of task
you are doing, do it for the love of doing it! If you are the serious
runner- keep up the good work! If you are the trend setter, enjoy your
coffee and brisk walk, it's better than sitting on the couch! If you
are the gentlemen being forced to run by your wife (work wife, or any
other motivating force), just remember fitness is a choice and those
that love you want what is best for you. So put a smile on your face
and run knowing that every step you take is one step closer to a
healthier you. And if you are that older lady with great abds, running
the distance, you are an inspiration to us all.
Colossians 3:23
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the
Lord, not for men.” (NIV)

No comments: