Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Who is on your list?

It is Sunday afternoon after church and we have a full afternoon planned.  I thought it would be a great idea to make things easy and pick up a pizza on the way home.  As I sit and wait for our pizza to be cooked, I sit and people watch (and listen). 
During the 5 minutes that I wait for my pizza, I see several people come in and out and pick up their orders.  I see the delivery guy run in, pick up more pizzas, and run back out.  I see a family sitting and enjoying their pizza together.  Then the phone rings, the cashier apologies repeatedly, explaning the reason for the late delivery. Silence.  A young girl trying to calm an angry customer.  I see her get off the phone and obviously bothered, excuse herself to the back of the store.
This scene gets me thinking...
As I get back into the car, I share the story with my kids.  I ask them to think of people that work in Thankless jobs.  My kids get very excited and come up with a plan to honor our mailman and our garbage delivery man.  As soon as we get home, they forget about the pizza and begin coloring pictures and cards. 

It is at this time of year, that it is easy to show appreciation for our teachers, friends, and family.  Try something different. Look outside your circle and honor someone unexpectedly! You might be surprised at the gift you receive in return!

No comments: