Search This Blog

Sunday, May 08, 2011

Gifts

Have you ever picked out the perfect gift, maybe for a Christmas or a special holiday?  You are filled with anticipation and joy.  Or better yet, have you ever been surprised with an unexpected and undeserved gift?
Motherhood is one of the most anticipated, joyous and undeserved gifts that we can ever receive!

Think back, some more than others, to the anticipation of your child's birth. This time in your life was filled with preparation for a new beginning, a time of planning, and studying new parent books.  Then the big day arrived when you held your child in your arms for the first time.  From that day forward, there was a new love in your heart that you didn't even imagine, a love that you never knew was possible before.
As each day passes as a mother, I have found my role is ever changing.  My relationship with my children is refined every day. I have days of great joy and great challenges.  Through both, I am able to see great growth in not only my children but also in myself.


Motherhood is such a difficult role to put into words. 

I believe Motherhood is God's greatest example of grace.  By definition, grace means unmerited favor, kindness which bestows upon one what she has not deserved.  I don't know about you but the gift of my children is among the most undeserved gifts I have ever received! 
Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him.
Psalm 127:3

I did nothing to earn the right to raise two precious lives, yet it was granted to me!  The gift of my children is among the greatest of gifts of loving kindness. 
It is a true reflection of God's love for us-
Refining  For you, God, tested us; you refined us like silver Psalm 66:10
 
Filled with joy despite challenge  glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope....God’s love has been poured out into our hearts Romans 5:3-5
 
Building growth in us through it all  Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming.  Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. Ephesians 4:14-15
 
Thank you Lord for the gift of my children, for loving me enough to refine me, fill me with joy, and build me up in your great name!

No comments: