Search This Blog

Monday, October 18, 2010

Spiritual Gardening

Today I had the pleasure (not so much) of pulling weeds. I did not realize how bad it had gotten until I started the job and was 2 hours into it and still had ALOT of work to do. When I volunteered to help my husband knock out this project, I thought it would be quick and easy. I was proven wrong very quickly.


I pulled some weeds very easily. These were not rooted in the ground and were easy for me to pull out. While others were a bit difficult to pull out. These were rooted into the ground so far that I had to DIG them out! I made it through the front and side of my house and felt pretty good about how much I had accomplished. Then I got to the back yard and had my work cut out for me. At first glance, I thought to myself 'I just need to get someone else to do this'! Then as I started working, I had another great idea, 'you really can't see the weeds behind the hedges anyhow- so why bother'. Then of course I realized that if I didnt pull all of the weeds, they would spread and take over the whole flower bed. So, I rolled up my sleeves and pulled more than my share of weeds.

I got to the bank behind our retaining wall and honestly, I found weeds that were taller than me! (Dont laugh- I know it doesnt take much to be taller than me, but hey- we are talking weeds here, okay). These weeds were not going anywhere either! I had to laugh at myself because I pulled with ALL of my weight behind it, with all of my strength and nothing. Really? It cant be that hard to pull. Then I was even more determined to get it out, I got it out but it broke at the base. I thought, great- now it will just grow back and I will have to do this all over again. Not going to happen. I needed reinforcement! So, I got out the handy shovel and dug this huge weed out.

What weeds do you have in your life? What are you cultivating? What is getting in the way, distracting you from the Lord and the beauty He has laid out for you? Is it negativity, doubt, lack of faith, insecurity?  There are some 'weeds' that are easily removed from your life. There are others that we have neglected to pay attention to for a long time. These 'weeds' that we have just ignored, that maybe are hidden to others sight but keep rearing their ugly heads in life. These are the things that we need reinforcement to help us. . It is those deep rooted 'weeds' in our lives that if not pulled, will spread into other areas of our life. When we call on the Lord to help get rid of these deep rooted hindrances in our life, we are better equipped to handle the job.
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind (Matthew 22:37) and He will give you all the strength you need.


At the end of this weed pulling project, I was dirty from my hands up to my elbows. I was so happy to get that project out of the way. I never want to see another weed again! The sad thing is....no matter how good of a job I did with pulling weeds today, there will be more, it is just a matter of time. Just like the weeds in your life, they will come back. You just have to be willing to roll up your sleeves, get reinforcement, and pull them out!
Lord Jesus, please help me to identify the weeds of my sinful nature and to get the shovel and dig out the root. Help me to allow Your law of sowing and reaping to take place in my life so it can become the garden of fruitfulness, filled with the fruits of the Spirit.  In due time, I will reap with shouts of joy.

No comments: