Search This Blog

Sunday, March 07, 2010

I am just getting back from a great getaway. I tagged along on one of my husband’s business trips. He was concerned that I would get bored on the trip. I assured him that I wouldn’t! For me, this was a great time to relax and unwind. I got caught up on a book that I have been meaning to read, got to dive into my bsf notes, and really enjoy some quiet time with the Lord. This was also a great time to take advantage of my relaxed state of mind and evaluate my ‘schedule’.
I don’t know about you, but I find myself more often than not get caught up in the ‘busyness’ of life distracting me from what matters most. So I found myself ready to go from tired to inspired. It is time to really evaluate what I place priority in my life and really live it…not just say it or think it, but really live it. So, I challenge you to do the same. What are your top 3 priorities in life? What do you really value?
Or maybe a better way to phrase the question, In 20 years, what is really going to matter to you?
Stop and make your list….

































Now the question is…
is this list reflected in your daily life schedule?





My top 3 are:
1. My relationship and walk with the Lord
2. My husband –devoting time to grow and strengthen our relationship
3. My kids – spending quality time together, building and fostering a relationship of love and trust
I will be quite honest, the #2 and the #3 are hardwired into my schedule. My husband and I make it a priority to have date night on a regular basis. We make sure to maintain this part of ourselves despite the craziness of life. When it comes down to it and the kids are grown and move away, we will have each other, so it is important. The old clichĂ© that I love, “There is nothing better that you can do for your child than to love their father”…I believe this wholeheartedly!



We also make it very much a priority to schedule not only time with the kids but also one on one time with the kids. We have started scheduling “date night” with each of the children. This is as simple as movie and dinner with Mom and Son or as special as a Father/Daughter dance. It is the act of taking the dedicated time, putting it on the calendar, and making it happen. There is something about putting it on the calendar too…the anticipation of the date is half the fun!

So, now is the hard part. If my #1 is my relationship with Christ, does my calendar reflect this in dedicated time with Him? I don’t mean a checklist of just checking the box…
 church
 Sunday school
 small group
 bsf
 involvement in church activities

I mean developing a deep relationship with Christ. This isn’t an outward physical act of participating in any activity other than having a dedicated time daily (yes, I said daily) with the Lord. This daily time may be reading scripture, memorizing verses, or just taking one particular verse and applying it to your daily routine. It is this time that I feel connected as if I can feel His guidance upon my life.
I have to admit, there was a time when I thought, is it really necessary to go to church more than just on Sunday? Then I discovered so much more than the answer to just that question. It just wasn’t enough!
It just isn’t enough to invite God into our meal times or bedtime prayers. I want to better my knowledge of His word; I want to have God fully integrated into every part of my life.
Go from emotion to full devotion!
Make the commitment to change whatever part of your schedule that hinders you from having this time with the Lord. Do you spend 90% of your time shopping, watching TV, or just running meaningless errands? What if you spend even 50% of that time with the Lord instead? Just like any relationship, the more you devote to it, the more you see how meaningful it is.

1 comment:

shanie said...

Really enjoy your blog Mitzi. You are an inspiration to me in your desire to become closer to the Lord. We all need to strive to do that on a daily basis. Have a wonderful week!